Sunday, July 19, 2009

When mom's away the cat's will GET A BOAT!!???





While I was gone to Idaho to help my parents plant a garden, straighten the house, and enjoy a little R & R. I called home to see how everyone was doing and talked to Jon. He said, "Oh Mom, I got a boat." I asked how did he get it. "Remember in the high school year book, McClellan willed it to me and I found it on KSL and it was free." He began to explain that it didn't have a motor but he took it out on the lake to see if it would float. I couldn't believe it. Our last son has a Zuk (Suzuki Samarai), a hawk, a dog, Glenys (his 1980 Toyota Corolla that he bought for $75), and now a boat! What are we to do. He told me that it floated pretty good, but some water did get in. He also said that they were a little cold so they built a fire on top of the boat on some tin and it was great! I could just picture it in my mind, TEENAGERS DIE WHILE BOAT IS AFLOAT AND ON FIRE - No motor! I told Jon to please be careful! "Oh don't worry, we are." I then asked to talk to his father and Dave told me that he really did have a boat and I asked if it even had oars. He said, "No, they used shovels." Well, that's creative, but since that night my prayers became more intense for my son.

A few weeks ago, Jon called and asked if I would trade him vehicles. I had the 72 Chev Truck and he needed it to go out on the lake with his boat. I said, "No Jon, I don't like that idea." He said, "Come on Mom I'll be okay." I then said, "Will you promise to be careful and not do anything stupid." He said he would promise to be careful and I added, "What about not doing anything stupid." "Oh Mom, just let us take it." I agreed not realizing that my prayers would be answered that night.

Jon didn't arrive home until 11:30 p.m. and he said he had a blast! I was so grateful that he arrived safely. He said the reason why he was late was that the boat went out further than he thought and they had to get in the water and hold on to the boat and swim it to shore. He said, "I've never been so tired. I think the boat was about a mile out." He went down to bed and I said in my mind, "I wish he didn't have that boat". I was able to fall asleep knowing he was safe. At midnight I was awakened to loud popping. I thought, "What in the world are they doing outside." I looked out my blinds and saw a large fire on our bottom quarter-acre lawn. It was HUGE and then I looked a little further and the fire engines had just arrived. I asked Dave, who was sitting at the computer playing Hearts, "What is going on!" He had no idea. I threw on my jacket over my pajamas and headed for the door just as the police pounded. I was in shock and my heart began to race. Dave also came to the door and the officer began to ask questions. To keep the story short, we woke up Jon who walked out the door and said, " WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BOAT?" We said that was a good question since the officer thought it was arson because it was still hooked to the 72 Chev and we knew that he wouldn't start the boat on fire hooked to dad's classic truck. He told about the lake and how they got very cold and started a fire to get warm. The officer said, "Did you know the boat was made out of wood?" "Yeah, but we had a piece of tin and we made sure it was out." (Okay, planned - gas, wood, tin) The officer looked very confused and then just laughed and they looked at us and said that we didn't look too concerned. I said, "Oh no, this is just great!" The fire was put out and Jon was sad that he didn't get to see the flames. The only damage to the truck was melted tail lights on both sides. Jon is still living and we will continue to pray, but now I don't have to worry about the boat!

4 comments:

Mary said...

JONNNNNNNNNNN!!!! That crazy kid. How scary I'm glad everyone is okay, your grass looks a little scorched though!

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of teenage boys. I'm glad that Jon was safe whenever he was out and about on that boat. I'm also glad the truck wasn't severely damaged by the fire.

I love the pictures though.

Kurt said...

All I gotta say is that blue truck sure is sweet! Oh...I mean thank heavens for not having a movie made out of the haunting of the ghost boat or something similar. Nice job Jon for having fun while you have the chance, but be careful, sinking in a burning boat could end future fun opportunities. I once fell when rock climbing without a rope and bruised my heal which almost kept me from being a firefighter! Thanks mom for your prayers :)

KT said...

Ha so funny. I love telling my friends the boat story. I hope I won't have too many to tell just for your sake :)