I am having so much fun in Texas with Kristin, Ty, and THE GRANDCHILDREN! Kristin surprised me and brought the children to the airport to pick me up. I told Kristin that I was at her disposal and would do whatever she wanted. Of course, you know what this means. She has the week planned with some mother-daughter time, grandchildren time, and some Ty and Kristin time, and a little break time for her.
We went ice skating to start the week. Amazing enough, I could still skate! Caleb was off on his own within a few minutes and Chloe started alone about 1/2 hour before we finished. She would skate back and forth between Kristin and I. Let's say she ran as fast as she could and I prayed that I wouldn't fall when she hit into me. :) The next day we were off to exercise and then to Caleb's school. We both helped with Caleb's class, went to recess where Caleb and another boy competed showing grandma their amazing feats off the playground, back to class to help and then to lunch. First grade conversation is the BEST! "Caleb", said Justin, "What is your name? What is your favorite color? What is your quest?" Well our boys all know Monte Python. It went on for a little while. Justin had just seen the movie, and Caleb played along. Then Caleb asked Justin, "What is your name?" Caleb then asked, "Can you spell it?" Justin replied quickly, "i t". Then the spelling went on for a few minutes. Well, to say the least, Caleb's quest each time was to eat all of his cinnamon twist that his mom brought.
Caleb is sick today, so we are having Caleb and grandma time. He read four books in Spanish for me for his homework, wrote his numbers up to 40 and a did a word search in Spanish. Grandma doesn't know Spanish so I went to Spanish to English Translation on the Internet. I tried to read one or two words and he immediately stated that I should just let him do it himself.
Now the best time so far, BEDTIME! We read the scripture stories, have prayer, and then they get to choose their favorite book. I loved having Caleb lean on my shoulder while we read about The Good Samaritan, The Prodigal Son, and many others. He chose Wacky Wednesday after and we made it through it as long as Chloe was on her bed waiting with her favorite book. The next night was "Grandma's Story Time". I told Herman the Worm, and Three Ways to Get Peanut Butter off your Finger. We laughed and laughed. Last night, Caleb wasn't feeling well, and was asleep. I had prayers with Chloe. She does not want to say them so I have her close her eyes and we pray together. Tonight was special. I said, "Bless Caleb because he is sick", and then a little voice whispered from her prayer position on the bed, "and Chloe". I said, "and Chloe". Then I asked Heavenly Father to bless mommy and daddy, and then came another little whisper, "and my sweet Grandma." I almost opened my eyes to see what she was doing, but just reveled in the sweetness. While brushing out teeth, I told Chloe that I was the queen of frizz because of my hair and she was the princess of beauty. "No, grandma", said Chloe, "You are my beautiful grandma!" We smiled at each other and then were off to storytime.
Now I know why I love being a mother (grandmother) because when you are having a rough day, all you have to do is brush your teeth, pray, and read stories with a little child and you feel much better. "a little child. submissive, humble, and full of love." Mosiah 3:19
Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Grandchildren are the sweetest!
Posted by sistatee at 12:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I love this post. It's true little kids just brighten up the toughest times. I'm glad you're having a wonderful time with your grandkids.
Post a Comment