My wonderful husband loves to garden and can't wait until the ground
is thawed enough to pull out the rototiller and begin preparing for his
first seeds. We have garden at the end of the pasture between the blue
spruce trees, at the side of our house, below the quarter acre, and
anywhere there is sun and ground. Luckily we planted a lot of grass!
:) The nice part is that we get to eat all the delicious veggies and
fruit. His goal each year if eating a tomato sandwich by the 4th of
July. Last year we didn't get very many tomatoes, but this year WOW!!!
I just organized my fruit room and realized that I only had 9 quarts of
spaghetti sauce. So, I decided that I would can this first. Usually
it is during the first week of school that enough tomatoes are ready.
Pot fit over two burners :)
Notice - US NASH 1987 and under it says 15 gallons
Last
weekend I said, "Let's get up and pick the tomatoes on Monday because
that is about the only day I can make spaghetti sauce". Well, I arose
at 6:30 a.m. and he had just finished picking them. I was excited.
Caleb said he wanted to help and I was very thankful because we began at
6:45 a.m. Caleb did most of the cutting and I did the churning and
washing and sending them through the Victoria Strainer. Caleb said,
"Okay Grandma, I'm just going to keep cutting until we get every one
done." He wasn't joking. We had filled one large pot and it was on the
stove, filled another and it was on the stove, and then there was still
more. At 9:15 we were almost finished. The problem, no more stove
room. Then the thought came to me, "The pot of all pots!" It is one
that I have had for quite some time. I don't know where it came from. I
asked all the neighbors, but they said it wasn't theirs. It just ended
up in our orchard one year. Anyway, I cleaned it out and started
scooping out the tomato juice one pitcher at a time because the pots
were to heavy to lift and dump. After putting the two pots and the
remainder in, there was just enough room to add the ingredients and be
able to boil. At 8:40 p.m. I turned off the last steamer. I was so
excited!!! One full day and one big pot made 42 quarts! 10 1/2 gallons
of spaghetti sauce :)
I need to be a little bit taller for this pot.
To celebrate, Dave and I went for a
short hike until dark. What a wonderful feeling to have spaghetti
sauce finished for the year. Thank you Caleb, you were the best! I
would still be cutting if it wasn't for you! I also can't leave out Chloe. She woke up just as we were finishing straining the tomatoes so she helped wash the pans and strainer. Reward? Fun with the grandchildren and rootbeer floats for Dave, Caleb and Chloe.
0 comments:
Post a Comment