Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Elder Jonathan David Taylor





































Only but a moment has passed since Jon received his mission call, and now he is gone for two years. At this moment it is very hard to write, and yet through the tears, I feel peace in knowing that he loves the Savior enough to take this step in life. I did very well until just before my wonderful husband gave him a blessing Jon said, "Mom, you seem a little antsy." That is when I lost it. I wasn't antsy, I was just trying so hard not to release what I was feeling inside. Jon gave me hug and I knew he understood my feelings.

We had a wonderful lunch with some of Jon's favorites, Shepherd's Pie and Cowboy Pie. I was hoping to fill him up before we left. Just before arriving at the MTC he said he was hungry. Not to worry, I hear the MTC has so much food.

The curbside dropoff was so quick and I must say a little bit easier on a mother. We took a couple of pictures and said goodbye. A "host" pulled his bags and escorted him to the door. I watched as he disappeared down the sidewalk. Oh how I will miss him.

Upon arrival home, there was a little plaque from Tanner Giles' grandparents (The Walkers). On the plaque was written: "mis.sion.ary (noun) Someone that leaves their family for a short time so that others may be with their families for Eternity." It was a little tender mercy from Heavenly Father for my sad heart.

On Sunday Jon spoke in church. It was amazing and he was himself. He started out with a wolverine quote and then continued on with the conversion of Brigham Young. I felt his kind spirit. I was pleased when he said with tears, "The ones I am going to miss the most is my Mom and my dog Norris, or my dog Norris and my mom; I'm not sure which order." I was touched to be on the top of his list.

I wish Mike and Sarah could have been here and was so glad that they were able to talk to Jon by phone before he left. Jon was so happy and didn't get sad until he said goodbye to Norris. I walked out to take a picture and he was sobbing. I promised I would do my best to take care of his best friend. It won't be like Jon and Norris and I will probably howl together and go on many drags (Norris drags me all the way). Who knows, in the spring I may just let him run the mountains like Jon always does.

Tomorrow I will finish boxing Jon's things and set them aside until he returns. It doesn't get easier with each missionary, but I know he will be taken good care of and will fall in love with Louisianna. Oh how I love my son, oh how I love my family. Oh how I love my Savior.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such tender thoughts from a mother of a missionary. Good job in lasting as long as you did. I know how the sweet emotions are in such a wonderful family. I too felt the warm spirit Jon has when listening to his talk, he'll be a wonderful missionary learning, and teaching, the things the Lord wishes him to.

You are such a wonderful mother to sacrifice two years for the Lord, as well. :D