Saturday, December 4, 2010

What will I miss most?













DING DONG!

Yesterday, I realized that there were still 11 dead rabbits on my front porch and I decided it was time to get rid of them. Jon wanted us to have a Jack rabbit dinner before he left, but time ran out. (You know the talk by President Monson on gratitude). I was able to give four away, but just couldn't bring myself to gutting and skinning them to enjoy a "mountain man" dinner. I also couldn't do as Jon would do and give some to Norris. What a nice gift to leave for mom to remember him.

Today I was packing Jon's things and decided I should think about the positive. No cutting up mice to help him feed his birds, no loud bangs on my door when his hawk nails a pigeon splatting blood all over during one of the training sessions; no ducks in the creek; no mice, rats, starlings, etc. in the freezer; (well, I do have a elk hide and it's brains that I am trying to decide what to do with), no birds messing on my tile, carpet, or Kaylee; no swimming pool or tarps covering the carpet to keep the hawks from making a bigger mess; no kestrels swooping over my head while I am eating, no jumping cars in the front yard or boats on fire, and so many other things. The hard part about it all, is that I loved most of it because it was Jon and he is my son. He made me laugh, pray harder, cry, and realize that life with a mountain man is full of excitement and adventure. I sure hope that a mountain woman is preparing for this wonderful young man.

The thing I will miss the most is his laugh, smile, and scratching his back every morning and knowing that he needed me just as much as I needed him.

1 comments:

charm said...

OH wow! You truly are the epitome of a "YES" mom, Tam! He's sure gonna be a good missionary... and OH, the stories he'll have to share!